3 Feb 2012

Guu Richmond: A " You had to be there" Izakaya

If breakfast and lunch = brunch, what is lunch and dinner? Supper? Or is that another word for dinner? Anywho, we arrived at Guu @ Aberdeen Center around 5 with grouchy bellys. We had already tried Guu Garlic on Robson and loved it. We are on a mission to visit all the Guu locations. If you don't know, Guu is a chain of  Japanese restaurants that offer authentic izakaya dishes. They are known for yelling out Japanese at you everytime someone walks in, leaves, orders something, or when a dish is ready to be served. The atmosphere is quite nice and to me, makes the food much more enjoyable. Especially when its busy, this place is crazy loud!
Aside from the regular menu, they often change their special menu with many dishes to choose from. I think this is nice cause their menu isn't all that big.

 Thought these were cute.
 It wasn't all that busy which was an advantage for us cause the service was great! The servers were very energetic and seemed like they really loved their jobs.
 Kimchi Udon $7.80. Great. Couldn't ask for more from an udon dish.
Marugo Steak $8.50. The Ahi Tuna was similar to Tuna Tataki but ALOT more flavorful and the seasoning was fried with the fish instead of in a sauce on top. This was awesome and cooked very well. The inside was  cooked enough that I was able to eat it since I do NOT like sashimi.
 Scallop and Enoki Mushroom wrapped in Bacon $4.80. How cheap is this seriously!? This one was my favorite of the night. The scallop ones had 2 huge pieces of scallop and the mushroom ones were just dainty. YUM, I will definately order this again. Too bad it was on the special menu. They should really infer to switch this one to the regular. That's mustard on top if your wondering. I really don't favor in mustard but it really went well with the bacon.
 Now this one deserves a big THUMBS DOWN. Takoyaki Agedashi $7.80. First of all, was not worth that much. Secondly, it was just nasty. I didn't expect it to be drowned in SOUP... yeah soup. Ima stick to my regular takoyaki, thanks. So should they. I ate one and left the rest.
Whole Grilled Squid with Spicy Mayo $8.50. This tasted the same as any other place, good. Of course I ordered a side of regular mayo. I always wished I could eat spicy but I think god hates me. 
 Hotate Mentaiko $3 each. Love their plating! 
This came out with the bill. Complientary frozen grapes. I hate grapes but they were so good haha! Im going to be trying this at home. 

Price: Our bill came to $45. Not bad considering the great atmostphere of this place. The price is comparable to bbt restaurants but the food was MUCH better. They also serve liquor here which is a plus!
Overall, the service, ambiance, food and everything in between was GUUUUUU'D. I was a very much happy camper. 10/10

Guu Richmond on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Oh nice pictures, it looks very good - great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. : ) Yes! Frozen grapes are the best! I even did one of my first posts on them.
    http://vimwac.blogspot.com/2011/08/frozen-grapes.html

    ReplyDelete