22 Jan 2012

Kawawa Metrotown

My stomach was calling while T and I were at Metrotown after a long day. Indecisive of what to eat, we went upstairs for a quick slice of pizza at fresh slice. However, the sushi place across the hall caught our attention. This place was rebuilt a couple years ago but I never really wanted to try it. All you can eat restaurants are a nono in my book. If you know me, you probably know I can eat sushi anytime of the day, and for all 3 meals if I could, but a ayce, never. We decided to give this place a try anyway and went for the regular menu. And we left very pleased with our decision.
Unagi cone - $5.95. Since I didn't order a roll containing unagi, I got the cone. I usually don't order this but I had to get my unagi fix or I would regret it later in the night. I usually do. Anyway, this came out to be very good. The unagi was very warm, the cucumber was cold and crunchy and they didn't overdo the rice or teriyaki sauce. 
I have really been getting into the whole mango and sushi trend. This is a Mango California roll - $10.95. I would have never guessed this was an all you can eat restaurant. This very much satisfied my taste buds! The sourness of the mango makes you want to eat more. I like how they aren't cheap on giving you a good amount of tobiko. 
Rainbow Roll $10.95.Again, SO much tobiko! My bf and I love this stuff. Their plating is pretty nice too, I love this place!
Ika - $8.95. Good, but I prefer mayo over teriyaki sauce.
Oyster Motoyaki - $5.95. The picture in the menu was of 2 real oyster shells and looked appetizing. This was NOT.  After eating Akasaka's oyster motoyaki, I'll admit I have set a very high expectation for other restaurants but this is truely disgusting. There were 1 and a half pieces of oyster in each cup, it was oily as hell and the sauce isn't even edible. They did not put ANY effort into making this.. like at least mix in some veggies or something geez......  Anyways, at this point, we were stuffed but we had one more dish coming.
Assorted Sashimi for the dude - $12.95. He was only able to eat ONE piece. 

Our total came to $63 which is a bit expensive but we could've had enough food for one or two more people. We were stuffed to the point that we had to share the last roll cause we didn't wanna waste food. Overall rating 7/10 for bad service and oyster motoyaki. I'd probably come here after shopping or something and maybe try out the all you can eat menu.. The reviews on the ayce menu are horrible so maybe not but who knows!

Kawawa Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment: