26 Apr 2012

Ora: Great appies, not-so-great mains.

This place had a very "Joey's/Cactus Club" feel to it. Very modern, loungy and a place where a lot of youngsters would go to. I was here for St. Patrick's day, sitting next to a VERY loud group of teenagers which ruined the mood a little but we didn't mind. Not as much as the couple beside us who asked to move tables.. I felt bad for them..
We had a very nice server, who was a ditzy blonde girl.. the cute kind. She suggested the Gyozas $10, which were the best I've ever had at a non-asian restaurant. Many times, I get the kind where the outside of the dumplings are hard and chewy (from being frozen) but these tasted very fresh and light. I would order this again!
Poached Pear and Prosciutto Salad $16. The only thing I didn't like about this was the candied pecans.. Probably cause I don't like any extra crunch in my salads.. The greens are enough for me. But anywho, any salad with prosciutto is good to me!

I wish the 2 delicious appetizers weren't so good because they very much hyped me up for the mains which I was obviously expecting to be good. Both were just below mediocre and were left unfinished. This is the Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms $17. I did however like that it came with 2 instead of 1 and they were overly stuffed with meat and such. The bad thing about this was it was extremely bland.
Kahlua BBQ Ribs $24. This definitely NOT worth $24. Sure, the rack was big and the potatoes were good but they were dry and didn't come with enough sauce to balance it out. Other than that, ribs are ribs.
I was NOT prepared for this Triple Layer Chocolate Cake $7. I know it doesn't look big in the picture but it was bigger than the size of my hand. And my hand is pretty big to begin with. That little scoop of ice cream was not enough to even out the sweetness and dryness of this cake. I didn't like it at all, even if it was smaller.
New York Colossal Cheesecake $7. This one reminded me of the Earls cheesecake (which is discontinued by the way) with the blueberry compote (a lot of it). This was also very big, hence "colossal" but good. It
was a cheesecake.

Overall, I liked this place and would come back for JUST appies and a couple drinks. I'd love to try what their other appies have to offer!

1 comment:

  1. hey i was wondering if you could recommend me a good dessert place for two downtown van? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete