19 Jun 2012

Ouisi Bistro: First Time Trying Gator Meat!

"The Ouisi Bistro is a New Orleans style restaurant, which incorporates two styles of cooking; Creole and Cajun."

First of all, excuse the horrible photography in this one. It was extremely dark and I had to use the flash on my iPhone. I should really invest in a real camera but I like having all my pictures in one place! My boyfriend brought me here, just for the gator meat. He had been here once and loved it, so we made our way down to Granville Street. I wish it wasn't so dark because I couldn't get a good picture of the restaurant. My first impression was that it felt very welcoming and homey, a place you can go to, grab a beer and relax with your buddies for the night. Somewhere you can find real soul food. It is a bistro, but they serve brunch (weekends), lunch and dinner. There are so many other restaurants in this area that I would like to try to look out for those posts soon.
Gator Bites $14.50. This was the only thing on our minds as we sat down. We ordered this before we even got our water, then looked at the menu for more. It came out minutes later and I almost forgot to take the picture. As you can tell, it looks delicious and nothing like alligator meat at all. I really cannot describe the texture of alligator meat, it is something else. My first thought, was that it tastes something between chicken and fish, a cod perhaps. Anyway, it was good, and what made this even better was how amazing they seasoned this dish. You've really got to try it for yourself, I am NOT joking.
Cajun Style Crab Cakes $11. Although this was seasoned well, with many Cajun flavours, I thought it was very very doughy and did not have anywhere near enough crab. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want CRAB in my CRAB CAKES!
Fresh P.E.I. Mussels Lafayette $15. Aside from that amazing plate of Gator Bites, this was my favorite. I devoured these mussels. The white wine and cream was amazing, and the mussels were very large.
The Dinner Belle $20. This was my least favorite, as you can probably tell already. The description the the menu, read "crab stuffed chicken breasts with a citrus-beurre blanc and roasted new potatoes" and now, thinking back when eating this, all I remember was the potatoes, NOT the crab. Once again, crab from the menu disappoints and I am left with a crabless chicken and potatoes. The potatoes were awesome, by the way. Nicely cooked and spiced. I thought their chicken tasted very frozen as if it was one of those from a frozen dinner box you buy at the grocery store. At least it wasn't dry. At this point, I am really appreciating the makers of this menu. I'm realizing that everything I have ordered did not lack in flavor, and they did not have to be spicy to do so!
Sauteed Gulf Prawns $18. I don't have much to say about this order, other than the "prawns" were tiny, and the dish was a little boring in appearance. Otherwise, they tasted very good.

Before I get to dessert, I want to mention their delicious corn bread, which I forgot to take a photo of. I never knew how much I love corn bread until I tried their home made ones. It comes, complimentary with your dinner and oh, is it good. I'll be taking some home next time.
Blueberry Cheesecake. I'd have to say this is one of the BEST cheesecakes I have ever consumed in my life. They have a special every day, with a different fruit, baked inside in the cheesecake. This tasted extremely wholesome, home made, and rich. Just how I like my cheesecake to be.

I had a great experience here and I will be coming back to try other things on the menu. Highly recommend this restaurant, although the service was HORRIBLE. Just for the food, and the gator bites, I will be back!

Ouisi Bistro on Urbanspoon
Address: 3014 Granville St.
Vancouver, BC
Website: http://www.ouisibistro.com

No comments:

Post a Comment